Round Grove Baptist Church
Photos can be viewed as a slide show or individually. If you would like more detail about a particular photo click on the photo in the gallery. Information about that photo is usually provided. Choosing the slide show option will not show the individual photo information.
Round Grove Baptist was established on the second Sunday in July 1871 (the 9th) by Rev. Ruben D. Ross and Rev. William Barker on land Ross provided. It was the first church in western Erath County and the third oldest Baptist Church in Erath county. It is probably the oldest church in the De Leon area. Round Grove is considered to have held the first Sunday School in Erath county in 1872.
The charter members of the church included: Rev. Ross, his son G.R. Ross, J.E. Arthur, N.A. Bell, J.T. Bell, C.C. Blair, Meeky Blair, S.M. Ely, N.A. Hill, D.W. Keith, J.J. Keith, L. Mahan, W.M. Morrison, Sarah Morrison, J.M. York, Mary York. The last two living charter members of the church were reported to be Rev. George Ross and Mrs. S.J. Keith.
Logs for the original building were cut from along the Leon River and Greens Creek near Dublin. They were then hauled to Stephenville and cut into lumber used to construct the log and native lumber building. That first building was located near the grove on the cemetery site. It burned in December 1873 according to the records of De Leon’s Armstrong Lodge AF&AM which was organized in the building and met there until the fire. A replacement building was itself replaced in 1888. That building was used until 1938 when the above church was constructed.
The name Round Grove came from a circular grove of timber located on a hill to the east of the church.
The church was initially in the Bosque River Association withdrawing in 1875 and aligning with Comanche Association. In 1887 it withdrew from the Comanche Association at the time of the formation of the Round Grove Association. The Round Grove Association was dissolved in 1925 and the church joined the Erath County Association. It reported a membership of 91 in 1874 and peaked at 156 in 1902.
The church building is near the Armstrong Creek about six miles northeast of De Leon on CR 344. The Round Grove Cemetery is immediately east of the church. Services are no longer held at the church.
Rev. R.D. Ross-from the church’s founding in 1871 until his death on Dec. 29, 1908
G.R. Ross 1908-Sept. 1910
J.L. Gilbreath 1910-1912
J.A. Bays 1912-1914
G.R. Ross 1914-1915
J.L. Gilbreath 1915-1921
O.D. Henley 1921-1922
W.D. Martin 1922-1932
W.C. Bramlett 1932-1935
Gordon Barrett 1935-