Mistrot Brothers & Co.
Virtually nothing has been located related to this firm’s store in De Leon. Since the last cotton prices on the card are for 1902 that must have been around the years of its operations. No indication of its store location has been found. Comanche also had a Mistrot Bros. located on the north side of the square and a Mistrot Bros. opened in Stamford around Oct. 1, 1904.
Mistrot Bros. appears to have been a large chain and catalog store initially based in Galveston dealing primarily in dry goods with locations throughout Texas. It apparently operated from the mid 1800′s until 1960. Available records indicated that Mistrot Bros. took over the Galveston location and merchandise of a competitor, Leon & H. Blum and remained at that location until 1917. Houston which also had a large store, may have become the base for the company after 1917. Stores are also mentioned as having operated in Burleson, Navasota, Bryan, Palestine, and Livingston. Mistrot Bros. is also credited with being one of the first stores to use bar codes on its merchandise labels.