Mount Pleasant School (Bowman)
Above: Mount Pleasant School ca: 1908
Below: Mount Pleasant photos 1918-1919
Photos can be viewed as a slide show. If you would like more detail about a particular photo exit the side show by clicking on “Show Picture List” then click on an individual picture. Information about that photo is usually provided. Choosing the slide show option will not show the individual photo information.
The Mount Pleasant School was located about 2 1/2 miles west of De Leon north of today’s Sipe Springs Hwy. (FM 587) at the west bend of CR 457. Although it was always officially the Mount Pleasant School District, (County School District 58 and 72) the school was usually called Bowman after the family who gave the land for the school (possibly J.N. Bowman).
The district contracted with the De Leon ISD to take its students beginning with the 1931-32 school year. Mount Pleasant was a dormant district when annexed into the De Leon ISD on June 25, 1949.
1914-15: Nettie Russell
1919-20: Mrs. J.E. Deely Sr. Principal, Jim Belle Watkins (Tate), Vervia Mehaffee.
1925-26: John Lightfoot Principal, Mrs. Ruby Dixon Cunningham
1926-27: Morris Farrow, Miss Hattox
1927-28: Raymond Van Zandt Principal, Mrs. Raymond Van Zandt
1928-29: Raymond Van Zandt Principal, Mrs. Raymond Van Zandt
1929-30: Raymond Van Zandt principal, Mrs. Raymond Van Zandt
1930-31: Raymond Van Zandt Principal, Mrs. Raymond Van Zandt
1934-35: J. W. Wallace Principal, Lottie Robinett