Hog Creek/Jakehamon School
No school in this part of Texas ever had as much claim to fame as the Hog Creek School. It never won a football championship, never even had an masonry building, never had a nationally known graduate but, it was in the Hog Creek School that the Desdemona oil boom really began.
The Hog Creek School was located in the far northeastern corner of Comanche County about ten miles north of De Leon and three miles south of Desdemona basically at the intersection of today’s Texas 16 and Comanche County Road 4981. A small granite marker on the west side of the highway marks the school’s original location. The school was created on May 18, 1897 by the Comanche County Commissioners Court and designated Comanche County Common School District Number 80 (later 92). The Robinson Springs Common School District (76) formed the eastern boundry.
The biggest event in the school’s history occurred on October 1, 1917 when a meeting was held at the Hog Creek School to discuss organizing a new Hog Creek Oil Company. In 1914 area landowners met at the school to form the original Hog Creek Oil Company but only a shallow well that showed limited oil had come from that organization. The new Hog Creek Oil Company ultimately leased about 6,100 acres of land to to a Wichita Falls group of venture capitalist that eventually partnered with several Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, oil men. The consortium drilled a well on the Joe Duke farm that came in on September 2, 1918 setting off the Desdemona oil boom.
In 1919 the short-lived town of Jakehamon was organized and plats were laid out for an adjoining community to its south to be called South Town. Both were in the area to the southeast of the Hog Creek School and as part of the effort to form the new community, the Hog Creek School, Triangle School and Guthrie Schools consolidated and took the name Jakehamon Consolidated district. Around that time the building shown above was constructed.
In 1930 a tenth grade was added and the following year, Indian Mountain School in Erath County sent its elementary students to Jakehamon via a bus that then picked up the high school students from Jakehamon and took them to Desdemona. Shortly thereafter the Greenhorn and Triangle schools, both located in Erath County were consolidated into the Jakehamon School. The Greenhorn school building was moved to a tract near the Jakehamon School and served as the home of the Superintendent O.H. Moore. In 1935 Jakehamon was consolidated into the Desdemona School system and is today part of the De Leon Independent School District.