B.J. Pittman Home
Located on the southwest corner of Texas and Ross, this home was built about 1916 by Mr. and Mrs. B.J. Pittman Sr. They sold the home during the oil boom and moved to the corner of Reynosa and Pittman Street but apparently got the home back when the boom ended and the new owner was unable to honor his debts.
Mr. and Mrs. Pittman continued living in the house until their respective deaths and their daughter Phynis Pittman Evans lived in the house until her death in 1981.
Among the features of the house are what were called sleeping porches located on either corner of the second floor over the porch. The upstairs had bedrooms that were utilized by the Pittman’s two sons B.J. Jr. and Ralph until they left home and later were rented out as apartments. The back room on the right is the kitchen and it featured a stairway that led to the storm cellar to the rear of the house. The cellar also had the standard exterior stairway. An office used for many years by Mr. Pittman was located on the southwest corner of the home. The home also had either an interior well or cistern inside the home at the back (west) entrance.